The Military Skills Development System 2023 will have some strict requirements for prospective applicants to adhere to. These requirements include:
Military Skills Development System 2023 Application Form
It is important to note that this programme is highly competitive and the number of successful candidates may vary between regions.
The programme is for South African citizens only. Applicants must be medically fit and have passed grade 12 with a minimum of 50% aggregate score.
A trainee must be a South African citizen
You must be a South African citizen at the time of application, enrolment or commencement of training.
If you are not a South African citizen at the time of application but have become one since then, your application will still be considered and it will be up to the selection board’s discretion whether or not they allow you to join.
The applicant must be in possession of a valid identity document.
- The applicant must be in possession of a valid identity document. This means that the applicant cannot be a child or a foreign national without any identification papers.
- The applicant must not be in possession of a valid identity document, meaning that anyone who is under 16 or over 80 years old will not be considered for this program.
The applicant must be medically fit (including eyesight) as determined by the military services medical board.
- The applicant must be medically fit (including eyesight) as determined by the military services medical board.
- Male applicants must be at least 1.75 m tall, while female applicants must be at least 1.65 m tall.
- The applicant must have a healthy weight and body mass index (BMI). If you are overweight, our fitness coaches will help you lose weight before joining the training course or your application may not be considered further. Your BMI should also not be below 18, otherwise you will not qualify for combat roles such as infantry soldier, artilleryman or tank operator in Navy or Air Force respectively.
- Applicants with poor eyesight will not qualify for any of the three services’ elite units: Special Forces and Naval Divers for Army; Maritime Specialist Corps for Navy; Paratroopers Brigade (Air Force). You will have to undergo eye surgery before being recruited into these units if your vision is below 6/12 on both eyes after being fitted with glasses or contact lenses following cataract surgery or refractive laser surgery performed within two years prior to the enlistment date if one eye has been operated upon
Applicants must not have foreign nationality or citizenship.
- You must be a South African citizen.
- You must reside in South Africa or another country within the region of Southern Africa.
- Applicants who are not citizens of the country to which they apply will not be considered for selection, unless otherwise stated in the Position Description.
Any applicants currently serving in the military will not be considered.
- You are not eligible for the MSDS program if you are currently serving in the military.
- You must have completed your service and must not have any pending disciplinary actions against you.
- You must not be involved in any criminal proceedings, civil proceedings or disciplinary proceedings that could lead to a court martial.
The Military Skills Development System 2023 is a great way to gain practical skills and experience in a military environment. Potential applicants should take note of the requirements outlined below, as well as those required by their particular branch of choice, in order to increase their chances for selection.