Nsfas Student Accommodation Requirements

If you’re looking to get NSFAS student accommodation funding, you need to be sure that you meet all the requirements. The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a government-funded programme that helps students who are enrolled in post-school education and training institutions. It offers financial assistance to students who qualify for funding.

NSFAS Student Accommodation Requirements

You can apply for this funding if you can’t afford your own accommodation at school or college because of the high costs of rent or buying property in South Africa

You must be registered at a public TVET or university in South Africa.

You can be registered for a full-time academic programme, or part time.

You can also be registered at private TVETs or universities, but you must have been registered with NSFAS for at least 12 months before registering with any other institution/programme (including private institutions).

You have to be a South African citizen.

If you’re a foreign student, you can’t apply for NSFAS funding. However, if you are a permanent resident of South Africa and have resided in the country for at least five years prior to enrolling at the university or training centre (or were born in South Africa), then it is possible that NSFAS might be able to provide some financial support for your studies.

The exact amount depends on how much your sponsor has paid towards accommodation costs during those five years—the longer their sponsorship has been running and the more it’s been spent on accommodation, the more likely it is that this will happen.

However: if one of your parents was born outside of South Africa but became naturalized as an adult citizen after becoming married or having children with someone from within our borders; if both parents had been citizens before being married but lost their status due to marriage outside their country; or even just one parent who lost his/her citizenship because he/she took up residence abroad while still retaining citizenship elsewhere…these people do not qualify under any circumstances!

You have to have your matric exemption letter with you.

You have to have your matric exemption letter with you. This is a letter from your school stating that you have already passed matric and can apply for NSFAS accommodation funding.

Your school will issue this when you enrol, but it’s also possible to get one at any time once you’ve enrolled into second-level education. In fact, if there are any problems with your enrolment process or study plan (for example if it seems like there are too few courses), then this may be the first thing they’ll ask for when they contact us about funding requests.

You have to have your most recent academic results.

You will be asked to provide your final year grades from the past 2 years at that institution, as well as copies of any previous NPOE forms where you have been registered with them (e.g., GDC). This is for verification purposes only, so don’t worry about having to send it in every time you apply!

You need your proof of address which is less than three months old.

You need your proof of address which is less than three months old.

This can be:

  • A utility bill with your name and address on it
  • A lease agreement for a house/flat that has your name and address on it, or
  • A letter from your landlord stating that they have rented out the property to you. If this is not an existing rental property then it must be from someone who lives in the same building as you, such as a neighbour or friend who can vouch for their veracity (if they are willing). If there is no proof of residence then Nsfas will require some other form of identification such as proof from school officials at secondary level showing that you are attending school regularly and living with them; otherwise Nsfas may decide that these requirements are not met by documentation alone

Be sure you meet these requirements before you apply for NSFAS accommodation funding.

You’ll only be eligible for NSFAS accommodation funding if you meet the requirements. If you don’t, your application will not be processed.

You can apply for NSFAS accommodation funding at any time during the academic year (this is known as ‘rolling’), so long as your course starts before 1 July of the current year and ends after 31st December of that same academic year.

It’s also possible to apply online; simply go to https://www3.nsfasaccommodationfunding.govt.nz/online-application-for-accommodation-funding/.


Hopefully these tips and tricks will help you to make the most of your NSFAS accommodation funding. Remember to check the full list of requirements before you apply, as well as respecting all deadlines so that you don’t miss out on your chance at this great opportunity!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *