NSFAS Accredited Accommodation Requirements UFS

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) provides financial assistance to students who need help to pay for tertiary education.

You may apply for a loan from NSFAS if you are studying at a public university or private higher education institution in South Africa.

The funding provided by the NSFAS loan may be used for any expenses relating to your studies such as accommodation, food, textbooks, study materials and transport costs.

Nsfas Accredited Accommodation Requirements UFS

There are various NSFAS accredited accommodation options for students that are eligible for the loan to fund their tertiary education. The type of accommodation you choose will depend on your particular circumstances.

Hostel accommodation:

Hostels are normally located in residences designated by the institution and sometimes hostels may be found within private residential areas or areas close to the school campus.

Private rental:

This is renting a flat or house from another person or company and paying them rent every month.

Residence (dormitory):

A residence hall is an area where several students live together as part of their studies, usually in rooms with common bathrooms, kitchens etcetera .

Living in student accommodation can be a great way to make friends and get off to a flying start in your new university life. It is also the cheapest form of accommodation you’ll find.

Living on campus is generally easier than other options, because students are usually required to move out at the end of each year and return home if they don’t live under their parents’ roof (with some exceptions).

This means most students tend to make friends while living on campus, which can help them feel less homesick later on when they leave for good after graduating

If you are applying for NSFAS, the following is the list of requirements that your living arrangements should meet:

  • On-campus residence (if you live on campus)
  • An accredited off-campus residence.

Thiscan be in a house or apartment with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, a kitchen and dining room. The accommodation must have all the basic facilities like running water, electricity, gas stove and fridge. It also needs to have a working toilet/bathroom as well as access to telephones and internet services;

  • Home.

If you live at home and your parents’ combined income does not exceed R140 000 per year (R70 000 for single parents), then living at home will be considered acceptable by UFS**END OF SECTION***

On campus residence.

Once you have applied for nsfas funding, you must submit your application to the university of your choice. Thereafter, it is up to the university to decide whether or not they will accept your application and offer you a place on campus or not.

The best way to ensure that your application is accepted is by making sure that all the requirements are met before submitting it. This means ensuring that:

  • Your academic programme has been approved by JAMB
  • You are a holder of an original copy of JAMB result slip showing that you have scored at least 180 in any one sitting (or equivalent) in NECO/WAEC/NABTEB

An accredited off-campus residence

An accredited off-campus residence is a house or residence that has been approved by the university to be used as a place of accommodation for students. The requirements to qualify for an accredited off-campus residence are:

  • The property must be registered with the university as a place of accommodation for students.
  • The property owner, manager and/or caretaker must be resident in South Africa.

If you meet these requirements, you can enjoy all the benefits of living in an accredited off-campus residence.


If you live at home, provide your parents’ proof of income if they are working. If they are unemployed, provide an affidavit.

If your parents are unemployed and receiving social grants, then provide proof of this on their letter head from the Department of Social Development (DSD).

Aged parents are entitled to SA Social Grants and must provide proof of this grant, where applicable.

Parents must be over 65 years old

Parents must be South African citizens

Parents must not have a salary or pension

Parents can only have one parent as the applicant

Aged parents can only apply for accommodation if they are unemployed for at least 12 months

If you stay with a guardian or relative, the following documents will be required:

  • Attached affidavit from the guardian or relative verifying that they are your legal guardian and have been in this position for at least one year.
  • Attached verification of income documents such as payslips OR bank statements for last three months if the guardian is unemployed. These requirements are to be certified by Commissioner of Oaths prior to submission to the University..

NSFAS loan funding opportunities vary between universities.

NSFAS funding is available to students at all universities. However, not all students will be eligible for NSFAS funding. Students must meet certain criteria including:

  • Nationality;
  • Financial needs; and
  • A minimum academic record that meets the requirements of their chosen institution.

At some institutions, even if you do not meet these criteria, you may still be eligible for a loan from NSFAS depending on how much money they have available (this varies between different universities).


The most important thing you need to remember is that NSFAS funding is not a guarantee of accommodation. It’s up to you and your institution or university to ensure that you have suitable accommodation before applying for the loan.

There are many options available, so do your research before making any decisions about where you want to live while studying and apply accordingly!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *