To enter the nursing programme at UNISA, you will need to meet certain basic requirements, including meeting minimum entry criteria and admission points, being fluent in English and having some knowledge or exposure to health care environments.
Diploma In Nursing At UNISA Requirements
To qualify for registration with the South African Nursing Council (SANC) as a professional nurse, you must have:
- A Bachelor of Nursing Degree or equivalent qualification. You can also qualify if you have completed an approved diploma in nursing or diploma in midwifery and have been registered with SANC for at least 5 years.
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in health care practice as a registered nurse or midwife. This includes caring for patients with illness, injury and chronic disease; providing basic healthcare services such as feeding therapy; assisting with wound care; providing first aid; administering medication etc., but does not include other duties such as administration support roles such as clerical work
- You must be able to communicate appropriately in English because this is the language of instruction and in health care practice.
- Your experience may include working with clients who speak different languages, including those who are deaf or hard of hearing; this could be as part of your previous studies or as an addition to your current workplace experience
- You must not have the word “withheld” recorded on your certificate of results. If you do, then you will be required to write an additional paper and sit for another examination before being awarded your Diploma in Nursing (ND).
- The minimum passing mark for each subject is 50%. This means that if a candidate scores less than 50%, they will not be admitted into the programme because their score was below what was required by UNISA to complete their qualification successfully; however, if they score more than 50%, then they will receive credit points towards completing their degree at UNISA with no further requirements being made upon them
You will also need to meet other requirements for registration, including:
- A valid passport;
- Proof of identity and address;
- A copy of your degree certificate or academic transcripts showing you have completed a Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an approved university within the past seven years;
Here we take a look at the requirements for Nursing Diploma at UNISA.