Can RDP Houses Be Sold in South Africa? (2023)

After 1994, the democratically elected government in South Africa began implementing different programs and tactics to dismantle the structural oppression of the apartheid era. In this regard, the Reconstruction and Development Program (RDP) comes to mind. The goal was to improve social services for historically disadvantaged South Africans by allocating tax dollars for development initiatives.

Rather than just concentrating on alleviating poverty, a more stable global economy was part of the overall goal. Despite the fact that the government has numerous challenges, such as pervasive corruption, it is attempting to quickly provide promised housing for the impoverished and formerly disadvantaged citizens of this country.

Three million RDP houses have been built and delivered, benefitting an estimated 20 million individuals, according to the Department of Housing. Let’s take a closer look at this idea.

Who is eligible for an RDP home?

For the most part, RDP housing is designed to replace township shacks and give low-income residents a sense of dignity and quality of life. In the case of Government Subsidy Housing, it is vital to stress that the recipients own the houses, not rent them.

An RDP house has its own set of eligibility criteria. Applicants should be:

citizen of the Republic of South Africa

In order to sign a contract, one must be at least 21 years old and mentally fit.

A first-time government subsidy beneficiary and a homeowner.

A spouse, a common-law partner, or a dependent child (they don’t all have to be your own). Veterans and the elderly are also eligible.

A household’s monthly income must not be less than R3,500. A two-person household with a combined income more than R3,500 will not be eligible for the program as a result.

Disabled South Africans should be given priority in the allocation of subsidised housing, and the house must be built in such a way that it is accessible to all.

How can I apply for Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)?

It’s necessary to provide the following documents to the provincial office of the Department of Housing or local offices to apply for a government subsidy dwelling.

A copy of your and your husband or partner’s identification papers (green book or ID card)

Authenticated copies of children’s birth certificates (if applicable)

You must provide evidence of your earnings if you are currently employed.

Currently, there is a long waiting list and the Department of Housing has a tremendous backlog when it comes to distributing dwellings and distributing title deeds. As a result, it’s not an easy task. The names of applicants are entered into a database, and they will be notified when their house is available.

Disabled applicants will be given preference, their special needs will be recorded, and custom homes will be provided for these recipients.

You can double-check if your name is on the list by going online. Visit and input your ID number to get started.

Buying and Selling an RDP Property

As previously stated, those who receive RDP housing are not renting the property from the government; rather, they own it. A Title Deed must be issued and recorded with the county recorder’s office in order for this to be considered official by the state.

Although this can take some time, recipients of RDP housing can dwell on their properties for years before they receive their Title Deeds. This means that RDP recipients do not instantly become the complete owners of the properties they receive.

Keep in mind that the owner is responsible for the house’s regular upkeep (s). After getting an RDP house, of course, the family is responsible for its upkeep. While the municipality is responsible for maintaining the infrastructure, it is up to you to keep your home in excellent condition.

Is it possible for me to sell my RDP home?

Sales of RDPs before the expiration of an 8-year occupancy period are illegal unless approved by the Department of Housing. During this time, if you wish to “sell” your house, you must first make it available to the government. Do keep in mind that low-cost housing is not supposed to be a profitable business. However, you’ll be able to get another RDP (if you still qualify).

Priority must be given to the state when selling your home after the 8-year timeframe has expired. The Department of Housing must sign off on the sale of your home before it may be transferred to someone else.

If a recipient attempts to sell the property illegally, the Department is considering what legal action to take against them, according to recent news headlines.

What if my relationship ends in a divorce or a breakup of some sort?

Upon divorce, the Court will decide what happens to the RDP house you were given as a gift. Alternatively, all parties concerned can agree to sell and split the money earned. However, the 8-year rule (stated above) still stands.

After submitting an application, the names of both parties are entered into a database. If they break up with a partner whose name shows in the database, they will not be eligible for a new subsidy. Consequently, you are only eligible for one subsidy at a time.

What Happens to My House if I Die?

You have the right to include the property in your Will and specify who you wish to inherit it if you are a legitimate beneficiary with a Title Deed proving that you were the registered owner.

A primary purpose of RDP housing, according to the Department, is to retain the homes in the family.

If you do not have a Will in place, the provincial Housing Department should have a record of the dependents you have identified, and they will be entitled to remain in the residence until such a time as they are able to purchase houses on their own financial means.

An RDP House Is a Good Investment

Before making an offer on an RDP house, make sure that the property is free of restrictive conditions. If you’re unsure, contact the Housing Department in your area.

If a seller offers you an RDP house without the proper papers (title deed and authorization), you should also report them to their local Housing Department and the Police.

The Department of Human Settlements can be contacted by dialing the following number:.

Housing enquiries – toll free Customer service hotline – 0800 146 873 / 012 421 1915

Fraud hotline – 0800 204401


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *